When you have to fight for custody of your children or for the financial support you need to provide for yourself and your children, you need the best family lawyers on your side. These are serious matters, which can even be life-threatening in domestic violence cases. Experienced family lawyers will stand up for your rights and help you take care of yourself and your children.
Family Law Cases We Handle
The experienced trial lawyers of Terry & Roberts have experience with the following types of cases and all other legal matters pertaining to families:
- Divorce: When a married couple decides to end their marriage, there are many legal matters that need to be settled. Having a lawyer on your side will help you get your fair share of the marital assets.
- Child custody: Child custody agreements can be complicated and delicate because the wellbeing of children is at stake. When parents can’t agree, these matters must be resolved in court. A family lawyer can help fight for your children’s rights.
- Adoption: Adopting a child is a complex and lengthy legal process that involves many steps. A family lawyer can help you through the process to ensure your legal guardianship is established and protected.
- Child support: When custody of a child lies primarily with one parent, the other parent may be required to pay child support. It is the legal responsibility of a biological parent to financially support their child, and a family lawyer can help you fight for the support your child deserves.
- Prenuptial agreements: A prenuptial agreement is a document drafted before a couple marries that outlines the division of assets if the marriage were to end in divorce. A prenup can make divorce proceedings much simpler and protect the rights of each spouse.
- Spousal support: When a marriage ends in divorce, one spouse can request that the other spouse pay them spousal support, otherwise known as alimony. Whether or not spousal support will be paid and how much is determined based on a variety of factors, such as the length of the marriage, income of both spouses, and reason for the divorce.
- Child abuse and neglect: Family lawyers handle child abuse and neglect cases, providing both compassion and the appropriate strategy these cases need to protect the rights of the child.
- Domestic abuse: Escaping domestic abuse situations can be extremely difficult for the victim. Family lawyers can help victims of domestic abuse get protection from their abusers and the assistance they need to stay safe.
Frequently Asked Questions About Family Law
Why do I need a family lawyer?
If you are facing a divorce, have a child with someone that is not your spouse, want to adopt a child, or have questions or concerns about any other family law related matter, it helps to have a family lawyer on your side. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of the law and protect your family’s rights.
How can I get spousal or child support?
Seeking financial support for yourself and/or your child is your legal right, but convincing the court can be difficult. You’re more likely to get the support you need with a family lawyer on your side.
Where can I find a family lawyer in my area?
If you’re looking for a family law attorney in Pearland, Texas, the experienced attorneys of Terry & Roberts have handled numerous cases in your area. We know the local court system and the best way to fight for your rights.
Contact us today to schedule your consultation.