We have the necessary experience and knowledge of divorce law in Texas to help you through each step in the process. When we represent you, we are on your side, fighting to help you get your fair share of the marriage assets and ensuring the things that matter to you are handled with the utmost care. Terry & Roberts also helps clients navigate the complexities of other family law issues, such as child custody and child support.
We have represented a wide range of clients in Pearland, Texas and the surrounding areas, from doctors and other medical professionals with high assets to lower-income families. No matter how complex your case, the right legal representation can help the proceedings move along smoothly and efficiently.
Grounds for Divorce
In Texas there are seven different grounds (reasons) for divorce:
- Insupportability: When a married couple simply cannot reconcile their differences and no longer wish to be married.
- Cruelty: When one spouse treats the other with cruelty in any way, including verbal, physical, or emotional abuse.
- Living apart: When the two spouses have lived apart for at least three years.
- Abandonment: When one spouse has left the other and stayed away for at least a year.
- Adultery: When it can be proven that one spouse has been sexually involved with someone outside of the marriage.
- Felony conviction: When one spouse has been convicted of a felony.
- Confinement to a mental hospital: When one spouse has been confined to a mental hospital for at least three years and “the mental disorder is of such a degree and nature that adjustment is unlikely or that, if adjustment occurs, relapse is probable.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Divorce Law in Pearland, TX
Do I need a lawyer to get a divorce?
Not necessarily. You can get a divorce without hiring a lawyer, but there are many reasons why it is in your best interest to have a lawyer on your side. For one, divorce law is complex and difficult to navigate by someone without a law degree. Also, it is likely that your spouse will hire a lawyer, which would give them an unfair advantage over you if you didn’t have one. You may not get your fair share of the marriage assets, spousal support, child custody, or child support.
How long before my divorce is final?
The length of time it takes for divorce proceedings to be resolved varies. In Texas, there is a minimum of 60 days from the time a divorce is filed for it to be finalized. The amount of time a case lasts beyond that depends on the complexity of the marital estate, whether or not children are involved, and how long it takes to reach an agreement.
How can I protect my assets?
If you own substantial assets, such as a business like a medical practice or you have a high net worth, you may be concerned about losing those assets to your spouse in a divorce. An experienced divorce lawyer can help you protect your most lucrative assets from being unfairly divided or awarded to your spouse.
Why should you hire Terry & Roberts for your divorce?
You need a divorce lawyer in Pearland, Texas who will work hard to help you hold onto the things you hold most dear as you and your spouse part ways. The lawyers of Terry & Roberts fight for our clients’ rights and their most valuable assets. We can help negotiate peacefully with your spouse and their attorney when possible, but we are also prepared to go toe to toe with the opposition if necessary.
Are you ready to file for divorce? Contact Terry & Roberts today to schedule a consultation: (979) 849-4387.