fbpx Pearland Child Custody Attorneys | Terry & Roberts

Child custody, referred to in the state of Texas as conservatorship, is a central part of family law. Parents, whether divorced or never married, don’t always agree on who should have conservatorship over a child or children and how the responsibilities should be split. It is often necessary for the court to determine what is in the best interest of the child. This is when it helps to have an experienced child custody lawyer working for you.

The Pearland, Texas child custody lawyers of Terry & Roberts will fight for your rights as a parent and the rights of your children. Here’s what you need to know about child custody laws in Texas:

Texas Favors Joint Conservatorship

In most cases, the state of Texas will rule in favor of joint managing conservatorship. This means that both parents will be involved in the child’s life and upbringing. Unless it is shown that joint conservatorship will be detrimental to the child’s physical or emotional health, the court believes that it is in the best interest of the child to have both parents in their life.

Sole managing conservatorship may be granted to one parent. If this is the case, the other parent may be granted possessory conservatorship, which translates to visitation rights. In this case the noncustodial parent may be required to pay child support to the custodial parent.

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Custody Law in Pearland, TX

When is child support ordered?

In cases where one parent has sole conservatorship, the court may order child support be paid by the other parent. Decisions about child support usually depend on the financial situation of both parents and the best interest of the child, as well as a variety of other factors that vary on a case-by-case basis.

Does the child get a say in custody decisions?

Children 12 years of age or older can voice their opinion about which parent they prefer to live with. The court can take this information into account when making a custody decision, but it is not the sole deciding factor. The court will still rule in the best interest of the child.

How can a custody agreement be changed in the future?

If either parent wants to make a change to an existing custody agreement, they must petition the court for a modification and/or custody hearing. You can do this with the help of a child custody lawyer in Pearland, Texas who is familiar with the local court system.

Do children have to appear in court for a custody hearing?

In most cases, children do not have to be physically present in court regarding family law matters; however, there are some situations where it may be necessary. Consult with a child custody lawyer to determine whether or not your child may need to appear.

Do I need a lawyer for my child custody hearing?

It is always in your best interest to have legal representation when going to court. In custody cases, your child’s mental, physical, and financial wellbeing can be at stake. Having a family lawyer working on your behalf increases your chances of getting the outcome you want in court.

See how we can helpContact Us

Terry & Roberts serves clients throughout Brazoria County, TX including in Angleton, Pearland, Lake Jackson, Alvin, Freeport, Clute, and Manvel.

Call TODAY!979.849.4387