fbpx Alvin Family Law Attorneys | Terry & Roberts

Are you in need of a family lawyer? Family law refers to any legal matters involving families and children, including divorce, custody, child support, and more. These cases are often highly emotional with a lot at stake. You need a family lawyer who is compassionate and also willing to fight aggressively for your family’s rights.

Looking for a family lawyer in Alvin, Texas? Contact Terry & Roberts at 979-849-4387 today to schedule a consultation.

Family Law Includes:

  • Divorce. When people who are married wish to end their marriage, there are many legal matters involved, including dividing the marital property and finances. Both spouses should have legal representation to ensure their rights are protected.
  • Child Custody. When a child’s parents are divorced or not married and cannot agree on a custody arrangement, it can be necessary to involve the court in making these decisions.
  • Child Support. When a child lives with one parent more than the other, the other parent may be required to pay child support. Child support cases can be difficult and typically require a court ruling.
  • For someone to legally adopt a child they are not the biological parent of, there are many legal requirements that must be met. It helps to have an adoption lawyer assist you through the adoption process.
  • Premarital Agreements. No one enters into marriage expecting to get a divorce, but unfortunately it happens in nearly half of all marriages. Establishing a premarital agreement (also called a prenuptial agreement) can make it much easier to divide the marital assets in the event of a divorce.
  • Paternity. Establishing paternity may be necessary in order for the mother to obtain a custody determination, child support, adoption, and to resolve other legal matters involving minor children.
  • Domestic Abuse and Protective Orders. In cases of domestic abuse, it can be necessary to get a protective order that prevents the abuser from having contact with the family. These cases can be dangerous and complicated, so legal help is crucial.
  • Divorce Modification. When one ex-spouse or the other wants to make changes to the original divorce decree, a divorce modification must be requested and filed with the court.
  • Grandparents Rights. Grandparents may have the right to visitation with their grandchildren in certain cases. A family lawyer can determine if you qualify and help you exercise these rights to maintain and build a healthy and worthwhile relationship with your grandchildren.

Frequently Asked Questions About Family Law

How is property divided in a divorce?

Property division can be complicated. Texas is a community property state, which means that any property acquired during the marriage is subject to being divided equally among both spouses. However, there are exceptions to this rule, which is why it is imperative to work with an experienced family lawyer, especially if you have a complex estate with significant assets.

Can you get a divorce without a lawyer?

Of course you can obtain a divorce without hiring a lawyer; however, there is a better chance that you will get your fair share of the marital assets if you work with an experienced Texas divorce attorney.

What if I want to change a current custody or child support agreement?

You can request a divorce modification or a custody modification with the help of a family lawyer. You could attempt to discuss it with the other parent and try to reach an agreement to avoid legal fees and court costs, but you may still need to take the matter to court.

How is paternity established legally?

Biological paternity can be determined by a mouth swab of the father and child(ren) in question at a certified testing facility. But a non-biological father can establish paternity by legally adopting the child.

Terry & Roberts, Family Law in Alvin, TX

If you’re in need of a family lawyer in Alvin, Texas or the surrounding area, contact Terry & Roberts at 979-849-4387 today to schedule a consultation.

See how we can helpContact Us

Terry & Roberts serves clients throughout Brazoria County, TX including in Angleton, Pearland, Lake Jackson, Alvin, Freeport, Clute, and Manvel.

Call TODAY!979.849.4387